Recipe by Sweets 'n Supper
A rich and creamy soup that is simple to make and stays smooth, even after reheating. Unlike most broccoli soup recipes, this one uses beef broth which does not exactly change the traditional broccoli cheese flavor, but rather deepens it. This one is a family favorite!
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh onions
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 1⁄3 cup shredded carrot (optional)
- 1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 1⁄2 ounces 2% cheddar cheese (sharp, block style cheese, freshly shredded or cut into small, thin pieces)
- 1⁄2 ounce smoked white cheddar cheese (block style, freshly shredded or cut into small, thin pieces)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, add butter, onions, and garlic. Sautee over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add beef broth and then the cream. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Slowly whisk in milk, then add in the broccoli, celery, carrots, and nutmeg.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow to sit for approximately 1 minute. When making cheese soups and sauces, adding the cheese to a mixture that is too hot can result in gritty texture.
- Add cheese, salt, and pepper, then stir until smooth.