1/1 Photo of Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup
Sweets 'n Supper's Note:
A rich and creamy soup that is simple to make and stays smooth, even after reheating. Unlike most broccoli soup recipes, this one uses beef broth which does not exactly change the traditional broccoli cheese flavor, but rather deepens it. This one is a family favorite!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh onions
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot (optional)
- 1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 1/2 ounces 2% cheddar cheese (sharp, block style cheese, freshly shredded or cut into small, thin pieces)
- 1/2 ounce smoked white cheddar cheese (block style, freshly shredded or cut into small, thin pieces)
- salt & pepper
- 1In a large pot, add butter, onions, and garlic. Sautee over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- 2Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 3Slowly add beef broth and then the cream. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- 4Slowly whisk in milk, then add in the broccoli, celery, carrots, and nutmeg.
- 5Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until broccoli is tender.
- 6Remove from the heat and allow to sit for approximately 1 minute. When making cheese soups and sauces, adding the cheese to a mixture that is too hot can result in gritty texture.
- 7Add cheese, salt, and pepper, then stir until smooth.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1358.2
- Calories from Fat 1064
- Total Fat 118.2 g
- Saturated Fat 73.4 g
- Cholesterol 412.3 mg
- Sodium 1318.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 17.0 g
- Protein 38.5 g