Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I have not tried this recipe. This recipe is from All Recipes. The recipe was submitted by Susan Holmes.
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 lbs fresh bratwursts, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the potatoes; carrots, celery, onion and green pepper. Top with bratwurst slices. Combine the broth, salt, basil and pepper; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or until vegetables are tender and sausage is no longer pink.
- Stir in cream. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened.
Good but, missing something. I did use cream instead of half and half.
I have made this a few times, and we enjoy the recipe as is. Very comforting type food. It's great for Sundays, as it is ready soon after arriving home from church. I typically use smoked brats or even keilbasa. That way I don't have to worry if the meat is cooked through or not. Also I would note that a 5 qt. slow cooker is a little large (try a 3 or 4 qt) and that this really only serves 4, at least as a main dish.
Made this for DH, very easy to put together. I used light half and half cream. Was told that this was good but needed more flavoring all around, so will use more seasonings next time. As I was slicing my brats, the casings were coming off and I ended up just crumbling them. Worked fine as crumbled, just have to keep checking and breaking the chunks up as it cooks. Or could have just browned first too.