Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A smooth and delicate cream sauce gives special taste to these tender chicken breast accompanied by sweet pearl onions and sauted mushrooms. This dish is so rich tasting, you'll want to serve it to company.
- 1⁄2 lb white pearl onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup Chardonnay wine (or other dry white wine or chicken broth)
- 1 1⁄3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, quartered
- In a Dutch oven or large skillet, bring 6 cups water to a boil; add pearl onions; boil 3 minutes, drain & rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute sliced onions, carrot and celery in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; remove vegetables; set aside.
- Add chicken to the pan; brown on both sides; remove and keep warm.
- Add wine; simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup; stir in broth and seasonings.
- Return chicken to pan; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until juices run clear; Remove chicken to platter; keep warm.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into pan; bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Return vegetables to pan; remove from heat; cover and set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, saute reserved pearl onions in remaining butter until tender; remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute mushrooms until tender.
- Add onions & mushrooms to serving platter. Discard bay leaf from sauce; spoon over chicken and vegetables, serve.
A great low-fat chicken recipe with wonderful flavor. I was about to post it myself - now I don't need to! Thanks : )
Absolutely wonderful! Thanks a million barb! Looked like I slaved teh opven for hours : p