Recipe by Lori Mama
My husband mmmmmm'd his way through this recipe, so I had to add it to my cookbook, with slight modifications.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
What a fabulous dish, we loved this, flavoursome, quickly made and yet deeply satisfying. I used a can of tomatoes, and thyme and chives from the garden. This for me is a total keeper, thank you Lori Mama!!!! Made for I Recommed tag game
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 5 -6 slices good quality bacon, sliced across into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3 medium leeks, trimmed, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- black pepper
- 1 round tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, seeds removed and diced
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) packageboursin cheese combined with 3 tablespoons minced mixed herbs such as thyme, sage, rosemary and parsley
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Once at a full rolling boil, salt water and cook pasta to al dente.
- In medium sized saute pan, fry the bacon until almost crisp.
- Drain and set aside.
- In the remaining bacon drippings, add leeks and garlic and season with pepper. Stir a few minutes to soften then add tomato paste and stir a minute more; add wine and reduce by half. Add tomatoes and heat through.
- Stir in the cheese, reduce heat to low and cook until melted.
- Reserve about 1/2 cup starchy cooking liquid just before draining pasta, then drain, return to the pot and add sauce to the pasta.
- Add the bacon in and toss, using starchy water to combine. Adjust the seasoning of pasta to taste, serve in shallow bowls topped with Parmesan cheese if desired.