Prep 5 mins
Cook 9 mins
I whipped this together this morning, and it was a happy accident!
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 3⁄4 cup strawberry, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- Mix first 5 ingredients together in a pan. Bring to a boil.
- Add oatmeal and cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When oatmeal reaches desired consistency, remove from heat and add berries.
- Cover and let set for 2-3 minutes to warm berries through.
This was absolutely delicious! I sort of screwed up the directions, though, but it still came out fine. I added the first 6 ingredients to the saucepan all at once, so I brought it all to a boil, and then cooked it for another 3 minutes or so, which is all it seemed to need. I only added 1 T. of brown sugar, which was plenty sweet enough for me. Then, instead of blueberries, I had some fat, juicy blackberries to use. A wonderful breakfast and a great way to start the day. Thanks so much for sharing this "happy accident". Made for SPRING PAC 2013.
Fabulous, and so easy. DH took one bite and said that this was his new favorite oatmeal :) This makes a really nice big, filling portion. I made it again and divided it in half for a lighter yet still filling meal, and that worked well too. Personal preference for us, I reduced the amount of salt the second time since it was a little salty for us the first time. Thanks for sharing! PAC Fall '12