Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange rind
- 125 g cold butter
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 2 (300 ml) cartons thickened cream
- 1⁄3 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄4 cup kirsch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 (250 g) packages strawberries, halved
- 30 g baking chocolate, chopped
- Combine sifted dry ingredients with orange rind in a bowl; rub in butter.
- Add enough water to bind together, knead on lightly floured surface until smooth; wrap in plastic food wrap, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry between 2 sheets of plastic food wrap, large enough to line a rectangular tin with removable base (base measures 20cm x 28cm).
- Trim edges, line pastry with greaseproof paper, fill with beans or rice, bake in moderate oven 20 minutes, remove the paper and beans, bake further 10 minutes, cools on wire rack 15 minutes, remove from tin, cool.
- Brush base of pastry with warmed, sieved apricot jam.
- Beat cream with sifted icing sugar and Kirsch until soft peaks form.
- Spread cream evenly into pastry case, arrange halved strawberries on top in a line.
- Melt chocolate over hot water, place into piping bag.
- Pipe chocolate over the strawberries in horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes or until chocolate is set.