Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from NatashasKitchen
- 4 medium beets
- 1 small red onion (about 1/4 cup finely chopped)
- 3 -4 tablespoons real mayonnaise, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Boil beets with skin on about 1 hour or until easily pierced with a fork. If a beet is older or really big, it may take longer. The smaller, younger beets may cook in 45 minutes. Let cool in cold water (or in the fridge overnight if you want to make the beets ahead). You can make them 2-3 days ahead and refrigerate until ready to use! Anyway, once they are at room temp or cool enough to handle, peel off skin. Most of the time, it should come off easily when you rub the beet with your hands (use kitchen gloves to keep from staining your hands).
- Use a mandolin to julienne your beets or torture yourself and try to cut the matchsticks by hand. Just be prepared for really gnarly looking red finger nails if you don’t have a mandolin. Wear kitchen gloves if you are fond of your manicure. Place your sliced beets in a large bowl and top with 1/4 cup finely diced red onion.
- Add in 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp vinegar, and 3-4 tbsp real mayo to taste. Give it a good stir. You’re done!
What a great beet salad, so quick and easy!! My sister was here on vacation and loves beets, so she made this, although using canned beets(much easier), but then the recipe was followed as written!! Thanks so much for sharing a great recipe!! Made for "Cake Pops on Parade" in the Culinary Quest Event!!
We loved this!! More so than I was expecting! I did cheat incredibly by using a can of sliced beets which were then easy to julienne. ;) Made for Culinary Quest 2014 by a fellow Cruisin' Culinary Queenie. xo Bethie/elmotoo.
Very nice salad! Even hubby said it was good and he shies away from beets. And I love beets! Served with SALAT IZ YAITS I GRIBOV (RUSSIAN EGG AND MUSHROOM SALAD) that is at random creativity blog. I would definitely make again. Made for Culinary Quest.