1/1 Photo of Creamy Beef & Rice Casserole
Faux Chef Lael's Note:
This is an easy, quick and inexpensive one-skillet meal that you can easily change up to suit your family's taste, or to use up items in your freezer/pantry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped (white or yellow)
- 1 cup carrot, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) packet brown gravy mix (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice (NOT minute rice)
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1In a deep skillet (with a lid), saute the onions and carrots in the olive oil about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook mixture until beef is browned. Drain any excess fat/liquid off the pan.
- 3Sprinkle brown gravy dry mix, onion soup mix, soy sauce, Worcestershire, garlic salt and pepper over the beef mixture and stir well.
- 4Add 4 cups of hot water and rice to the mixture, stir well. Turn heat down to medium low, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Depending on the kind of rice you use and your altitude, you may need to cook it a little longer and adjust the water accordingly. Rice should be firm but not crunchy.).
- 5When liquid is nearly gone and rice is done, stir in cream of mushroom soup. Heat 5 more minutes with the lid on.
- 6TIPS: For an Oriental flair, try adding thinly sliced celery and water chestnuts when you saute the onions and carrots. Or for a more home-style flavor, stir in a can of corn or green beans when you stir in the soup at the end.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Beef & Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (408 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.4
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 49.3 mg
- Sodium 1938.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 22.2 g