Recipe by bmcnichol
This is part of my OAMC rotation. This makes 2 - 4 serving casseroles.
Top Review by NELady
Delicous! I used shredded hash browns as that was what I had in the freezer - also, I halved this recipe as there are only two of us and this made quite a lot. It was very, very good. I chopped up an onion and cooked it with the hamburger (personal preference - we love onions). Hubby has asked that I keep the left-overs for his lunch tomorrow - quite a compliment. Great recipe, one that I will make again. Made for Newest 'Zaar Tag Game, 1/20/09 - NELady.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beef until no longer pink and drain.
- Combine the soups, onion and pepper.
- Add the potatoes, 2 cups cheese and mushrooms.
- Stir in beef.
- Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes.
- Sprinkle each with 1 cup cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Uncover and bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- When ready to use frozen casserole:
- Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake as directed above.