Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 3 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup prepared pasta sauce
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In skillet, melt 2 tbsps.
- of the butter and oil.
- Add potatoes and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add zucchini, salt and pepper.
- Cook until zucchini is tender.
- Spoon vegetable mixture into 13" x 9" baking dish, set aside.
- In skillet, cook onion and seasoning until onion is tender.
- Add ground beef, cook and stir until beef loses its pink colour.
- Stir in tomato sauce and 1/2 c.
- of the milk.
- Spoon meat mixture over vegetable layer in dish.
- Melt remaining butter, stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in remaining milk.
- Cook and stir until sauce comes to a boil and thickens.
- Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Pour sauce over meat layer.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.