Recipe by Darling76
This recipe is SIMPLE and CHEAP! It holds fond memories for me and my husband as, it was the only thing I could cook when we were first married! I was so proud of it and (lucky for him) my husband loved it! It is basically a knock off hamburger helper. Its called a "bake" but I never do. We just eat it as a skillet meal. (What did I know I could barely cook?) This whole meal for 4-6 will cost about $3.00. Use the store brand mac 'n cheese and you can come in close to that amount. My kids love this dinner. I serve it with a steamed green vegetable.
Top Review by Krista Smith
I was pleasantly surprised by this recipe. By the looks of it, I expected it to be pretty bland but it had a very nice flavor and I will definitely be making it again. I used kraft mac & cheese and next time, I will add more milk as the sauce was a bit on the dry side I used cream of chicken soup which was good but I think cream of broccoli would be great or perhaps even broccoli cheese! I did this on the stove but I think next time, I'd like to try the baking option and sprinkle a few french fried onions on top! Yum! Thanks for a great recipe!!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 chopped small onion (optional)
- 2 (7 1/4 ounce) boxes macaroni & cheese dinner mix
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the hamburger and onion (if using).
- Prepare the macaroni and cheese according to package directions.
- Add the cooked hamburger mixture to the prepared macaroni and cheese.
- Add the cream soup to the mixture and stir.
- (Optional) Pour into a casserole dish and place in the oven at 350°F until heated through. If you are pressed for time this step may be skipped and dinner enjoyed as a skillet!