Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a hearty, quick meal that will get some food on the table fast. It's good too!
- 8 strips bacon, fried & crumbled
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can Rotel Tomatoes, diced
- 1 can chicken broth
- 2 cans refried beans
- water, if desired
- Saute onion and celery in bacon grease you get from frying your bacon strips.
- Combine all ingredients including the crumbled bacon and heat till hot.
- Add water to desired consistency.
- Soup should be creamy.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
yummy, yummy, Wow ! The whole family just loved this one. A perfect lunch item. Also changed the bacon to diced ham, another time crumbled left over cooker hamburger........... All were a HIT ! The refried beans are a natural soup base, cant believe I never thought of this over the years ! Yummy !
I went to Vegas and had Tortilla Soup for the first time ever. It was thick and creamy and had the bean taste. After returning home I wanted to make it for my family because I knew they would love it. However, every recipe I found for tortilla soup was more of a chicken broth than thick and creamy like the one I had and I was very dissapointed. I found this recipe after several attempts to reproduce it on my own with no success. This was wonderful and easy. Thank you so much!