Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cheese-filled tortillas are the perfect match for a quick, easy and hearty soup. This is from the Pillsbury bake-off. It looks good so I wanted to save it here.
- 1 (16 ounce) canold el paso traditional refried beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canold el paso chopped green chilies
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packageold el paso taco seasoning mix
- sharp cheddar cheese or chipotle cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) package flour tortillas, for soft taco shells
- 2 tablespoons crisco vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
- 4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
- Heat oven to 450°F Line cookie sheet with foil.
- In 2-quart saucepan, stir refried beans, tomatoes, broth, coconut milk, green chiles and taco seasoning mix; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut each cheese stick in half lengthwise to make 2 thin sticks. Place 1 cheese stick on one edge of each tortilla; roll tortilla tightly around cheese. Brush edges of tortillas with water to seal. Place taquitos, seam sides down, on cookie sheet. Brush each lightly with oil. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until edges of tortillas are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Pour soup into serving bowls; garnish with cilantro or onions. Serve with taquitos for dipping.
I made this for tonight's dinner and really enjoyed it. For the taquito dippers, I cut 2 year old cheddar into thin strips before wrapping in tortillas. Rather than brushing them with vegetable oil, I sprayed them with a light coating of olive oil. Made for PAC Spring 2008