Recipe by Enjolinfam
The thin version of this recipe makes a great salad dressing. When thickened after refrigeration it makes a good vegetable dip, topping for a baked potato, or mayonnaise replacement for sandwiches. Can be made vegan by using tofu instead of yogurt. This recipe tastes best after marinating in the refrigerator for 24 hours (not in the cooking time). It should last about 7 days in the refrigerator and you may need to thin this dressing before serving if it is too thick. From "Choices - Quick & Healthy Cooking" cookbook.
Top Review by CHILI SPICE
If you enjoy Greek Tzatziki, this is similar. This was nice light and the basil was a refreshing twist. I did add a 2 tablespoons of basil and served leftover "dressing" as a nice dipping sauce for pita bread and veggies. Thank You.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt, plain (to make this vegan you can use 3/4 cup soft tofu crumbled up instead)
- salt or garlic salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor or blender, combine the lemon juice, basil, mustard, and garlic. Process until smooth. Then, with machine running, gradually ad oil. When oil has been completely blended in, add tofu (if making nondairy option). If using yogurt, remove the dressing from the food processor and place in small bowl and gently stir in yogurt.
- Season to taste with salt. Cover and refrigerate. Stir well before each serving. The tofu version will especially thicken when chilled. Thin with a teaspoon or so of water if needed.