Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Slow Cooker Chicken with enough for leftover Chicken and Wild Rice Chowder, also posted
Make and share this Creamy Basil Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium red peppers, and cut into strips or 2 medium yellow bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 ounces cooked bacon, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca, crushed
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (2 1/2-3#)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine or 1⁄4 cup vermouth
- 1 lb asparagus spear
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, plus
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, snipped
- 2 cups orzo pasta, hot cooked
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- In a 5-6 quart slow cooker stir together mushrooms, sweet peppers, onion, bacon, and garlic. Sprinkle with tapioca. Place chicken on top of mixture in cooker. Pour broth and wine over all.
- Cover: cook on high heat setting 3-3 1/2 hours or low heat setting 6-7 hours.
- Meanwhile, snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus. Cut inot 2-3 inch lengths. If using low heat setting, turn to high heat setting. Stir in asparagus, cream, and the 1/2 cup fresh basil. Cover; cook 30 minutes more.
- Reserve four chicken breast halves to prepare Chicken and Wild Rice Chowder; store chicken breast halves, wrapping tightly and refrigerate up to 3 days. Serve remaining chicken, vegetables, and sauce with orzo. Sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
- Makes 4 servings plus additional chicken for Chicken and Wild Rice Chowder.