1/2 Photos of Creamy Barley With Peas and Chives
This is a delicious meal that is very similar to a risotto. It is particularly good in the summer when fresh ingredients are readily available. It's an old recipe that I've tweaked as I've made it. For a non-alcoholic version, simply use 4 1/2 cups (2 pints, 1.2 litres) of stock. Serves 3-4 as a main meal, more if used as a side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet, then add the onion and cook gently for 3-4 minutes.
- 2Stir in the pearl barley and continue to cook, stirring, for a few minutes.
- 3Pour in the wine and simmer until it is absorbed.
- 4Pour in the stock a quarter at a time and simmer until the stock is absorbed before adding more. It should take 45 minutes or so for all the stock to be absorbed.
- 510 minutes before finishing cooking, stir in the peas. Continue to simmer until nearly all the liquid is absorbed.
- 6Turn off the heat, stir in the cream cheese and most of the chives.
- 7Season with salt and pepper to your taste and serve with the remaining chives scattered over the top.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Barley With Peas and Chives
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 601.0
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 37.6 mg
- Sodium 690.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.0 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 23.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: