Recipe by Shuzbud
This is a delicious meal that is very similar to a risotto. It is particularly good in the summer when fresh ingredients are readily available. It's an old recipe that I've tweaked as I've made it. For a non-alcoholic version, simply use 4 1/2 cups (2 pints, 1.2 litres) of stock. Serves 3-4 as a main meal, more if used as a side dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup raw pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas (use fresh if you can)
- 1⁄2 cup light cream cheese
- 1 small bunch fresh chives, chopped (1 1/2 tablespoons once chopped)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet, then add the onion and cook gently for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the pearl barley and continue to cook, stirring, for a few minutes.
- Pour in the wine and simmer until it is absorbed.
- Pour in the stock a quarter at a time and simmer until the stock is absorbed before adding more. It should take 45 minutes or so for all the stock to be absorbed.
- 10 minutes before finishing cooking, stir in the peas. Continue to simmer until nearly all the liquid is absorbed.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the cream cheese and most of the chives.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste and serve with the remaining chives scattered over the top.