1/1 Photo of Creamy Banana, Lemongrass and Coconut Soup
From Bon Appetit October 2005 magazine courtesy of the Four Seasons' Hotel in Los Angeles. If I didn't post this recipe I knew sometime down the road I would have regretted it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup very ripe bananas or 1 cup very ripe plantain, sliced
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup leek, white and pale green parts, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, puree
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili paste (sambal oelek is suggested)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 1/2 cups fresh vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1NOTE: Soup can be prepared one day ahead then reheated.
- 2In a heavy, large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add bananas and saute about 4 minutes or until starting to brown.
- 3Next add the onion, leeks, celery, carrots, garlic, lemongrass puree and chili paste. Saute another 10 minutes or until vegetables start to brown.
- 4Add the cumin powder and reduce heat to medium, sauteing the mixture another 2 minutes. Now add the orange juice, reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes.
- 5Add fresh stock, still simmering until the vegetables are tender, about 10 more minutes.
- 6Using a hand held immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Stir in the coconut milk and the cilantro, simmering over medium heat until heated through.
- 7Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Banana, Lemongrass and Coconut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.2
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 71.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: