Prep 4 hrs
Cook 0 mins
A light and creamy ice cream, not overly sweet with sugar, and a perfect strong banana flavor. It is so good I could eat the whole recipe myself! It is way better than any store bought ice cream! Tips for the bananas, I peel and freeze bananas when they get too ripe to eat instead of throwing them away. When I come up with enough of them, it's ice cream time! And since the bananas are already frozen it helps freeze the ice cream quicker!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk (for richer ice cream use whole milk)
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups mashed bananas (about 7 extra-ripe bananas)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- In heavy, 3 quart saucepan with spoon, combine sugar, flour and salt. In medium bowl with hand mixer beat milk and eggs together until well blended. Stir into sugar mixture until smooth. Cook over low heat Stirring constantly for about 15-30 minutes or until it thickens. Cool in fridge for approximately 2 hours.
- When the egg mixture is cool, stir mashed bananas, and half and half into the egg mixture.
- Pour into your ice cream freezer, and follow manufacturer's directions.