Recipe by MTpockets
I won't promise you "Fast and Easy" With this one. It's a little more work than most but It's oh so worth the effort. It's called "Creamy" Due to the fact that there is a made from scratch cream sauce added instead of Ricotta Cheese. I am NOT a fan of Ricotta cheese so I think this version is a nice alternative. It's great served with a beautiful ceasar salad and a basket of sliced crusty bread. Yum!! This is truly delicious!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, Chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (12 ounce) box ziti pasta or 1 (12 ounce) box penne pasta
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (26 ounce) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoons Olive oil and onions and saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add beef and brown.
- Meanwhile, In a large pot or dutch oven, cook pasta ala dente and drain well.
- Brown beef until it's no longer pink and drain off fat.
- In the same skillet, add to beef and onions, 1/2 teaspoons salt, garlic, pasta sauce, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
- Stir to blend, Then set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat, add flour and whisk constantly until smooth and well blended or about 1 minute, gradually add milk and simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese and remaining 1/4 tsp salt and pepper.
- Pour beef mixture and milk mixture into dutch oven with noodles and mix until well blended.
- Transfer entire mixture to a large, buttered, baking dish or nonstick lasagne pan, top with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake at 350' for 20-25 minutes or until mixture is heated through and bubbly and cheese is melted and becoming crusty.
- ** sometimes I add 1/2 the cheese to beef mixture and then top with the other half.
- Let stand approximately 5-10 minutes, and serve.