I won't promise you "Fast and Easy" With this one. It's a little more work than most but It's oh so worth the effort. It's called "Creamy" Due to the fact that there is a made from scratch cream sauce added instead of Ricotta Cheese. I am NOT a fan of Ricotta cheese so I think this version is a nice alternative. It's great served with a beautiful ceasar salad and a basket of sliced crusty bread. Yum!! This is truly delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, Chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (12 ounce) box ziti pasta or 1 (12 ounce) box penne pasta
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (26 ounce) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoons Olive oil and onions and saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- 2Add beef and brown.
- 3Meanwhile, In a large pot or dutch oven, cook pasta ala dente and drain well.
- 4Brown beef until it's no longer pink and drain off fat.
- 5In the same skillet, add to beef and onions, 1/2 teaspoons salt, garlic, pasta sauce, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
- 6Stir to blend, Then set aside.
- 7In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat, add flour and whisk constantly until smooth and well blended or about 1 minute, gradually add milk and simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles and thickens.
- 8Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese and remaining 1/4 tsp salt and pepper.
- 9Pour beef mixture and milk mixture into dutch oven with noodles and mix until well blended.
- 10Transfer entire mixture to a large, buttered, baking dish or nonstick lasagne pan, top with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake at 350' for 20-25 minutes or until mixture is heated through and bubbly and cheese is melted and becoming crusty.
- 11** sometimes I add 1/2 the cheese to beef mixture and then top with the other half.
- 12Let stand approximately 5-10 minutes, and serve.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Baked Ziti
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1020.9
- Calories from Fat 443
- Total Fat 49.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.9 g
- Cholesterol 164.3 mg
- Sodium 1946.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 54.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomato and basil pasta sauce