Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons short-grain rice
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- nutmeg, grated
- .Heat milk and cream in pot.
- Add washed rice, simmer 20 minutes.
- Mix eggs, yolk, sugar, salt and vanilla in a jug.
- Remove rice from heat and pour a little into egg mixture.
- Stir constantly and add a little more.
- Pour this mix back into rice pot.
- Stir till sugar dissolved.
- Put a 5 cup dish into a roasting pan, pour in custard.
- Sprinkle nutmeg over.
- Pour hot water into roasting pan to come 1/2 way up sides of dish.
- Bake at 160 C for 30 - 40 minutes or till knife inserted comes out clean.
Having recently had a couple of rough spills on the highway of life, this was most comforting. Made for A/NZ #46.
Did not eat this myself (not a big sweet eater) but the rest of the family enjoyed but the DH did say if I hadn't stipulated a serving had to be left for me to photograph then he was in big trouble, the lot would have gone, he gets the last serve tomorrow night. The only thing I did do was to grease my dish with butter and I baked at 150C fan forced and it was cooked to perfection in 30 minutes (my container was larger than specified but the closest that I had that would hold the mix. Thank you katew, made for Make My Recipe - Edition 11.