Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
My husband loves this hearty soup. You can make it in the summer when you don't want to heat your oven, or in the winter when a hearty soup is just the perfect comfort food. Serve with a nice cheese/garlic bread or biscuits.
- 8 large potatoes, diced and partially skinned
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 5 cups warm water
- 1⁄4 cup chicken bouillon
- 1 cup approximately potato flakes
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- garlic salt
- dried basil
- 1⁄2 lb crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
- 8 ounces sauteed chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sauteed onion (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, then add flour and stir with a wire whisk to make a roux.
- Mix warm water with bouillon, potato flakes, and seasonings.
- Slowly, add to roux, stirring gently, mixing until no lumps remain.
- Add milk and cream slowly, stirring till smooth and slightly thickened.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a separate large pot, cover potatoes with water, boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the potatoes, and gently mash in pot till broken up just a little.
- Combine the potatoes with the soup to complete. Add extra potato flakes as needed to desired consistency.
- In a separate skillet, fry up bacon and add to soup. Sauté mushrooms & onions in the bacon fat. Add to soup and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Yum!
I really liked this soup. It was easy and inexpensive to make. My family really enjoyed it. My 8 yr old is a picky eater and she liked it also. However, this is a four serving recipe, It made an entire pot of soup. I used a 5# bag of potatoes. I will make this soup again.