From Cook's Illustrated The Best Make Ahead Recipe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb penne
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 (9 ounce) boxes frozen artichokes, thawed, patted dry and chopped
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 8 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 8 ounces shredded Italian cheese blend (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons lemon lemons, juice of
- ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon leaves (for serving)
- 1Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Stir in tablespoon salt and the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Drain the pasta through a colander and toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil; leave in the colander and set aside.
- 2Wipe the pot dry, then add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, and set it over medium heat until shimmering. Add the artichokes, onion, and 1 teaspoon salt and cook until the artichokes are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in the garlic and lemon zest and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until golden, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the broth, wine and cream.
- 4Add the chicken breasts and bay leaves, partially cover, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover completely, and cook until the thickest part of the chicken registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 5Remove the pot from the heat and discard the bay leaves. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool; keep the sauce covered. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it into bite-sized pieces. Stir the shredded chicken back into the sauce with the cooked pasta, peas, 1 cup of the cheese, and lemon juice; stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a 13 by 9-inch baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cup cheese.
- 6To Store: Wrap the dish tightly with plastic wrap and then foil and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. (If frozen, the casserole must be thawed completely in the refrigerator, about 24 hours).
- 7To Serve: Thaw completely in refrigerator, about 24 hours. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Unwrap the dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil that has been sprayed with vegetable oil spray (or use nonstick foil). Bake until the sauce is bubbling around the edges, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until hot throughout and browned on top, 25 to 30 minutes longer. Sprinkle with the tarragon before serving.
- 8To Serve Right Away: Bake the casserole in a 400-degree oven, uncovered, until the sauce is bubbling and the top is browned, 25 to 35 minutes. Sprinkle with the tarragon before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Baked Penne and Chicken With Artichokes, Tarragon and Lem
Serving Size: 1 (442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 606.4
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 106.5 mg
- Sodium 355.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 36.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian cheese blend
fresh tarragon leaves