Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
Creamy onions that are perfect accompanying a roast dinner whether meat or veggie. To prepare the onions up to a day ahead, assemble the dish without the parmesan, then chill. To serve, scatter with the cheese, then bake.
- Heat the oven to 400°F
- Peel and trim the roots of the onions but leave them whole. Cook in a large pan of boiling water for 25 mins until tender, then drain, reserving a little cooking water.
- Season the cream and mix in 2 tbsp of the onion water.
- When the onions are cool enough to handle, slice each in half through the root.
- Lay the onion halves, cut side down, in a large baking dish with the bay leaves.
- Pour over the cream, scatter with the parmesan, and bake for 25 mins until the cream is bubbling and the onions are just beginning to brown.
Very good even after boiling 25 minutes they needed an extra 15 minutes in the oven. I did have very large onions. Made for Prop It Up, a photo tag game.