Recipe by English_Rose
Creamy onions that are perfect accompanying a roast dinner whether meat or veggie. To prepare the onions up to a day ahead, assemble the dish without the parmesan, then chill. To serve, scatter with the cheese, then bake.
- 6 onions
- 7 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, finely grated
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 400°F
- Peel and trim the roots of the onions but leave them whole. Cook in a large pan of boiling water for 25 mins until tender, then drain, reserving a little cooking water.
- Season the cream and mix in 2 tbsp of the onion water.
- When the onions are cool enough to handle, slice each in half through the root.
- Lay the onion halves, cut side down, in a large baking dish with the bay leaves.
- Pour over the cream, scatter with the parmesan, and bake for 25 mins until the cream is bubbling and the onions are just beginning to brown.