Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I created this Macaroni & Cheese in the summer of 2003 when our daughter and her eight children were living with us for four months. I needed something which was filling and not too expensive. I divided the recipe to make this smaller version for DH, DS and I after DD and family moved. NOTE***Don't leave off the delicious buttered topping...it helps keep the cassorole moist and also helps keep the cheese from making a crust on the top. It is a great addition to an old fashion style baked Mac and Cheese casserole.
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups milk
- 2⁄3 lb pasta, cooked ala-dente drained and rinsed with cold water
- 1 lb yellow cheese (I usually use a cheddar)
Buttered Crumbs Topping
- 1⁄2 cup melted margarine or 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- sweet paprika, as desired on top
- Cook the pasta until ala-dente’ (a little undone-- not soft).
- Drain& rinse the pasta in cold water to stop the cooking put aside.
- Cook the white sauce in a non-stick pan over med-low heat until mixture bubbles.
- In a greased 2 to 2 1/2 quart Baking dish alternate layers of pasta, 3/4th pound yellow cheese, and white sauce.
- Top with the other 1/4 pound of cheese.
- Prepare the Buttered Crumbs topping by Mixing the ½ cup of melted margarine and the 1 1/2 cup of bread crumbs.
- Spread the Buttered Crumbs topping evenly over the layered casserole.
- Sprinkle lightly with sweet paprika.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until lightly browned and bubbly.
Made this as is, just cut the recipe in half. Was quick and easy to put together and throw in the oven. Was creamy and so good! Once again though 4yr old DS didn't like it...if it doesn't come from a blue box, he doesn't like it! :) but 1 yr old, DH and myself ate it up!! Made for Spring PAC 2010.
This is the BEST homemade macaroni & cheese!!! I am the daughter of CarrolJ and we still make this recipe for my family - in fact I am making it tonight!!!
I tried this last night everyone but my 8 year old liked it. He thought it was spicey from the pepper. He's my picky eater. It was very good and I had it leftover for lunch today and added a little milk and a tablespoon of butter and microwaved it and it was still creamy. Thanks for the recipe.