Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Combined a few recipes together and this is the BEST I came up with. Cheesy - Creamy Crusty top and easy to reheat with putting a little bit more milk into and on top of the leftovers and covering with foil putting back into the oven for 1/2 hour
- Boil noodles according to package.
- After noodles are drained and have cooled for a few minutes, put them in a big bowl and mix with beaten egg.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9x13 pan.
- In a pan cook butter, salt, pepper, ground mustard and flour and stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat add milk, return to heat and bring to a boil.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add cheeses, stir until melted.
- Pour over noodles that are in a bowl stir, pour into greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until top is golden brown and crusty!
This is excellent mac and cheese. Not dry like a lot that I have tried. Lots of cheese flavor. The sauce took me a while to get all the cheese to melt. Ended up putting it back on the heat to get it smooth. Baking time is perfect. My GD loved it. Thanks for sharing. Made for PAC Fall '08
This was an excellent recipe. I didn't change any of the ingredients. However I did make one change - after making the white sauce and adding/melting the cream cheese and cheddar, I added the process cheese by slices over the macaroni... sprayed dish, layer of macaroni, layer of cheese slices, layer of macaroni, layer of cheese slices, then poured the sauce over all and "stirred" to get the sauce incorporated in the macaroni. Baked as directed. It was so yummy!! I will consider this my go-to.
Holy Cow! this turned out great. Following the directions I thought it was going to be way to much cheese sauce so I kept a little back. (Which made a awesome pretzel dip lol). Will definitely make again. Great Post Cathy!!