Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
Velveeta, cream cheese, half and half, and egg give this comforting dish a rich, cheesy flavor with a custardy texture. I experimented by combining ideas from several recipes and my whole family was thrilled with the results!
- Boil noodles until done.
- While noodles are cooking, grease a rectangular glass casserole dish.
- After noodles are drained and have cooled for a few minutes, put them in casserole dish and mix with beaten egg.
- Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter on medium-low heat and add flour to make a paste.
- Add half and half and bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and add velveeta and cream cheese in small chunks.
- Stir and add seasonings (last four ingredients).
- After all the cheese is melted and the sauce has a medium thick consistency (you may need to play around with the half and half or milk to get the consistency you prefer), pour it over the noodles.
- Stir noodles with sauce until they are combined.
- Sprinkle parmesan over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes (I wait until it's a little browned).
So dang good! Oh my! I am not a fan (or should say was not) of mac and cheese but this is really good! I have to make a couple of comments though. First, I salted my pasta (and I used penne, just a personal preference). Also, I added the 1/2 tsp. salt as stated but found that to be quite salty (and we even like things salty). I had to thin with more milk. Not a lot but probably 1/2 c. I didn't use but probably 1/2 the sauce I had and it turned out very rich and creamy. So next time I'll watch the salt and probably only do 1/2 the sauce for the full recipe. Very tasty though. My picky 1 year old agrees! :-)
Wonderful! Came together fast (after grating the Parmesan LOL) & doubled beautifully. Smelled delicious & tasted even better. A real keeper in our house - will be serving at Thanksgiving as a side. Served with home smoked pork shoulder & braised collards on Mischief Night. Thanks again Picholine!
Holy Smokes!!! This was WONDERFUL! It will certainly repalce my other recipe! We thought it was perfect in every way... not too creamy, not too dry, nice and cheesy, and the "crust" was to die for. Your description of the dish was dead on and we enjoyed it very much! Thanks so much for posting this keeper :)