1/2 Photos of Creamy Baked Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe did not clump up on me, and man is it good, creamy and cheesy! You can thank the cooks at Cooks Country for the Original. Omit red pepper flakes if that's the one your looking for!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter plus 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups shredded American cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place oven rack in the middle.
- 2Pulse bread, melted butter, and Parmesan in food processor until ground to coarse crumb.
- 3Transfer to bowl.
- 4Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot.
- 5Add 1 tablespoon salt and macaroni to boiling water and cook 6 minutes-do not overcook.
- 6Reserve 1/2 cup macaroni cooking water, then drain and rinse macaroni in colander under cold running water.
- 7Drain well & set aside.
- 8Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in now-empty pot over medium-high heat until foaming-don't let it brown.
- 9Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture turns light brown, about 1 minute.
- 10Slowly whisk in evaporated milk, hot sauce, red pepper flakes, nutmeg, mustard, and 2 teaspoons salt and cook until mixture begins to simmer and is slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
- 11Off heat, whisk in cheeses and 1/2 cup reserved pasta water until cheese melts.
- 12Stir in macaroni until completely coated.
- 13Transfer mixture to 13 by 9-inch baking dish and top with bread crumb mixture.
- 14Bake until cheese is bubbling around edges and top is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 15Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 672.6
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 99.0 mg
- Sodium 1416.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 29.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: