Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from the Charleston Grill in Charleston, South Carolina.
- 2 1⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking hominy grits (3 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup diced drained sun-dried tomato packed in oil (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup crumbled soft fresh goat cheese (about 4 ounces)
- chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Generously butter 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Bring broth, 2 tablespoons butter, and garlic to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- Gradually whisk in grits and return mixture to boil, whisking occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until grits are thick and almost all broth is absorbed, whisking frequently, about 8 minutes.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup cream and simmer 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Whisk in remaining 1/4 cup cream and simmer until very thick, stirring often, about 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in tomatoes and thyme.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle goat cheese over.
- Bake until cheese softens, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with chives, if desired, and serve immediately.