Recipe by Redsie
Made this for supper tonight - delicious, creamy and cheesy! Mmmmmm! And it's a light recipe! Yes! This is an adapted version from a R. Reisman recipe
Top Review by Kayla J.
It's goulash. It's fine, but it's basically just goulash. And I thought the cheese sauce was just way too elaborate to add it to the tomato sauce and mix it in with the noodles. Way too much effort to eat something that just tasted like goulash. Didn't hate it, wasn't impressed
- 1 lb penne
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 3⁄4 cups pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F Spray a 13x9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook penne for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain.
- To make meat sauce: In a nonstick saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions and garlic for 4 minutes or until softened. Stir in beef; cook, stirring to break up meat, for 4 minutes, or until no longer pink. Stir in tomato sauce and stock. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- To make cheese sauce: In a nonstick saucepan, whisk together flour, milk, and stock until flour dissolves. Place over medium heat; simmer until mixture begins to boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar. Remove from heat. Stir cheese sauce into meat sauce.
- Toss pasta with sauce. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake in centre of oven for 10 minutes or until bubbly.