Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Made this for supper tonight - delicious, creamy and cheesy! Mmmmmm! And it's a light recipe! Yes! This is an adapted version from a R. Reisman recipe
- 1 lb penne
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 3⁄4 cups pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F Spray a 13x9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook penne for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain.
- To make meat sauce: In a nonstick saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions and garlic for 4 minutes or until softened. Stir in beef; cook, stirring to break up meat, for 4 minutes, or until no longer pink. Stir in tomato sauce and stock. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- To make cheese sauce: In a nonstick saucepan, whisk together flour, milk, and stock until flour dissolves. Place over medium heat; simmer until mixture begins to boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar. Remove from heat. Stir cheese sauce into meat sauce.
- Toss pasta with sauce. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake in centre of oven for 10 minutes or until bubbly.
It's goulash. It's fine, but it's basically just goulash. And I thought the cheese sauce was just way too elaborate to add it to the tomato sauce and mix it in with the noodles. Way too much effort to eat something that just tasted like goulash. Didn't hate it, wasn't impressed
We all really loved this. It reheated well too. It made a ton, so it was great. Thanks.
This is DELICIOUS! I really thought it would take quite long to make, but it actually took much less time than I thought it would. The cheese sauce is very tasty, and the entire family enjoyed it. Next time I will add extra seasonings for our own preference. Breezytoo sent some Halloween pasta that was shaped like jackolanterns, black cats, and bats, and witches. The sauce was a gorgeous orange color and the pasta was perfect for an early Halloween treat for the kids. I used 96% lean ground beef, and I felt great feeding a healthy dish to my family. Thanks for a great pasta dish!