Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Made this for supper tonight - delicious, creamy and cheesy! Mmmmmm! And it's a light recipe! Yes! This is an adapted version from a R. Reisman recipe
- 1 lb penne
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 3⁄4 cups pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F Spray a 13x9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook penne for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain.
- To make meat sauce: In a nonstick saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions and garlic for 4 minutes or until softened. Stir in beef; cook, stirring to break up meat, for 4 minutes, or until no longer pink. Stir in tomato sauce and stock. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- To make cheese sauce: In a nonstick saucepan, whisk together flour, milk, and stock until flour dissolves. Place over medium heat; simmer until mixture begins to boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar. Remove from heat. Stir cheese sauce into meat sauce.
- Toss pasta with sauce. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake in centre of oven for 10 minutes or until bubbly.
We all really loved this. It reheated well too. It made a ton, so it was great. Thanks.
This is DELICIOUS! I really thought it would take quite long to make, but it actually took much less time than I thought it would. The cheese sauce is very tasty, and the entire family enjoyed it. Next time I will add extra seasonings for our own preference. Breezytoo sent some Halloween pasta that was shaped like jackolanterns, black cats, and bats, and witches. The sauce was a gorgeous orange color and the pasta was perfect for an early Halloween treat for the kids. I used 96% lean ground beef, and I felt great feeding a healthy dish to my family. Thanks for a great pasta dish!
I originally picked this for a tag game and then realized I had made the wrong tag, but decided to make this anyway. All I can say is yummy :yummy: I was a little leary about mixing pasta sauce with cheese sauce, but the flavor is fantastic. It makes a lot and I can see that I'll be using this quite often when we have company because it easy and economical! It's also a great make ahead dish as I made it one day and put it in the oven the next day before dinner and served it with a salad and presto dinner was done! Thanks Redsie for posting this!