1 hr 35 mins
I've not tried this yet, but it sounded so yummy I had to share! From the December issue of Yoga Journal magazine. Preparation and cooking times are estimates. I bet this would be better with pecans instead of the called-for walnuts, but I'm posting it as written. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rice syrup
- 2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled,cored,and quarterd
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- 2Butter an eight-inch round cake pan and line with parchment.
- 3Combine the maple and rice syrup and pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- 4Cut about a third of the apples into quarter-inch-thick slices, and arrange in a spiral pattern on top of the syrup mixture so that they cover the bottom of the pan.
- 5Grate the remaining apples and toss them with the lemon juice and one teaspoon of the cinnamon.
- 6Combine the remaining cinnamon with the flour, maple sugar, oats, baking powder, salt, and walnuts; set aside.
- 7In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the egg whites until light and fluffy.
- 8Add the melted butter, milk, and vanilla.
- 9Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and pour into the prepared pan.
- 10Bake in the center of the oven until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- 11Cool for 10 minutes on a cake rack, then invert onto a plate.
- 12Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Baked Apple Custard Cake
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.7
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 58.5 mg
- Sodium 136.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 32.0 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: