Recipe by TasteTester
I found this recipe on the All Recipes site and knew right away that our family would love it. We all did and now it is one of the favorites in my "keeper" file. Granted, it is high in fat content and calories but is oh-so-good for the occasional splurge -- we usually have it with grilled chicken and a steamed vegetable.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
These were so good! I made with OreIda steam and serve mashed potatoes. The caramelized onions and bacon in here were so flavorful and no need to add butter or gravy. Made for 123 Hits.
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 lb sliced bacon
- 2 quarts buttermilk, approximately (or if you prefer, you can substitute 1 quart buttermilk and 1 quart whole milk)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes into a large pot and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes, depending on the size of the potato cubes.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until evenly browned and crisp. Remove bacon from the skillet to drain on paper towels.
- Add the onions to the bacon grease in the skillet and fry until tender, stirring often. Drain excess grease.
- When the potatoes are done, drain the water out of pot and mash. Mix in the buttermilk (or the buttermilk/whole milk combination) until you get your desired consistency.
- Crumble in the bacon and stir in the onions. You can also stir in between 1-2 tablespoons of the bacon grease if you like. Mix together and serve.