Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Creamy augratin potatoes, for your crockpot. An excellent, and easy side dish. Based on Lavender Lynn's Creamy AuGratin Potatoes Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes, for ZWT8
- 4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/8 inch slices
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced into rings
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Butter a 1 quart sized crock pot.
- Layer the potato slices and onion rings in the crock, lightly seasoning with salt and pepper every few layers.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Pour the cheese over the potatoes, and slide a spatula between the edge of the crock and the potatoes to allow the cheese to pour down the side and cover everything.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, or on low for 4-5 hours.
Sorry I couldn't give it five stars, with the following recommendation I'm certain it WOULD be five star!!! My simple, yet nessecary recommendation would be to boil a pot of water with a little salt, (maybe a teaspoon or so) and when you have your potatoes sliced Put them in the boiling water for 10 minutes or so, and allow them to cool, this will give them the softer consistancy that I think you would be looking for (for some reason I can never get potatoes to get that "tender" consistancy without boiling in these type of dishes)!!!! Follow my recommendation and you'll have five star AuGratin potatoes that you'll be proud to serve!!!
These turned out great when I tried them. I happened to have some light cream so I substituted that for the milk and I think it made it extra creamy.
Good basic recipe but needed seasoning. Added Onion powder garlic powder paprika chives and parsley and pepper. Thinned the white sauce a bit with some chicken stock.