Cook1 hr 30 mins
The creamy cheese sauce and the tender potatoes in this classic French dish combine to make a deliciously addictive experience. It's a great side dish with a roast pork loin or beef tenderloin. Add a green salad and French bread, and you have a wonderful dinner. To avoid lumps in your sauce, add the milk just a little at a time as you stir the flour and butter. Experiment with different cheeses for variety."
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened.
- Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven.