1/5 Photos of Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
1 hr 30 mins
Lavender Lynn's Note:
The creamy cheese sauce and the tender potatoes in this classic French dish combine to make a deliciously addictive experience. It's a great side dish with a roast pork loin or beef tenderloin. Add a green salad and French bread, and you have a wonderful dinner. To avoid lumps in your sauce, add the milk just a little at a time as you stir the flour and butter. Experiment with different cheeses for variety."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 2Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
- 3Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- 4Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes.
- 5Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- 7Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened.
- 8Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- 9Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- 10Bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven.
Browse Our Top Mashed Potatoes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.7
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 84.4 mg
- Sodium 703.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 19.8 g