Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from one of my Food and Wine cookbooks. It is very easy to make and freezes well. Feel free to omit the mushrooms if you want. Make a big batch of this when asparagus is in season and freeze individual servings of it. YUM!
- In a large pot, heat 2 T oil over moderate heat. Add the mushrooms, ¼ t salt and the pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden; about 5 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms and set aside. Reduce the heat to low and add another tablespoon of oil to the pot.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent; about 5 minutes.
- Add the water, broth, rice, and the remaining salt to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Continue boiling for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the asparagus. Cook until tender; about 5 minutes.
- Using a hand blender or food processor, puree the soup until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and add the reserved mushrooms.