Recipe by Normaone
You can substitute other kinds of vegetables:broccoli, carrots, mushrooms. I tend to use whatever I have the most of. It helps me keep my refrigerator under control.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh asparagus, washed,bottoms trimmed,cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 large shallots, peeled and minced (3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan with broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes until asparagus is tender.
- Melt butter in a small skillet.
- Add shallots and garlic; saute 5 minutes until softened.
- Stir in flour and cook 1 minute more.
- Add to the saucepan with cooked asparagus.
- Stir until the soup has thickened.
- Let cool, then transfer to a blender or food processor and process until mixture is not quite completely smooth.
- There should still be some small pieces of asparagus left.
- Return soup to saucepan and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add half& half, thyme and pepper.
- Simmer 5 minutes more.
- Add cheese and cook just until melted.