Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
You can substitute other kinds of vegetables:broccoli, carrots, mushrooms. I tend to use whatever I have the most of. It helps me keep my refrigerator under control.
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan with broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes until asparagus is tender.
- Melt butter in a small skillet.
- Add shallots and garlic; saute 5 minutes until softened.
- Stir in flour and cook 1 minute more.
- Add to the saucepan with cooked asparagus.
- Stir until the soup has thickened.
- Let cool, then transfer to a blender or food processor and process until mixture is not quite completely smooth.
- There should still be some small pieces of asparagus left.
- Return soup to saucepan and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add half& half, thyme and pepper.
- Simmer 5 minutes more.
- Add cheese and cook just until melted.
This is a great soup! I did omit the cheese and added an extra cup of broth to thin it out however. I will definitely be making again. Thanks!
This soup has a good taste, but the thyme, and parmesan cheese over power the asparagus.
This was wonderful soup. I cut the thyme back to 1/2 tsp. and I used 4 c. chicken stock, because I had to use it up. Everything else I kept the same and it produced a velvety textured soup with layers of flavor. The delicate asparagus taste came through, perfectly accented by the other ingredients and Parmesan cheese. Two non-asparagus eaters enjoyed this soup a lot!