This soup has the texture of a New England type chowder. You can serve it on its own or as a first course. The stock is made from the peels of about 2 to 2-1/2 lbs of white asparagus; add 2 carrots and an onion; simmer it in a little lemon juice, salt and about 6 liters of water. Afterwards, strain off the vegetables, keeping only the stock.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 liters stock, see recipe description, it should still be hot
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 8 -10 asparagus spears, cooked and chopped into bite size pieces
- 6 -8 potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, cooked and cubed
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- basil, about a handful, chopped
- 1Melt the butter in a large pot; whisk in the flour and stir for about a minute.
- 2Pour in about 1/4 of the stock, whisking constantly. The stock should thicken up a lot. Add the rest of the stock.
- 3Add the cooked asparagus, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and basil.
- 4Bring to a boil; simmer for about 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Asparagus Soup
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.9
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 641.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: