Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I sort of made this on a whim and it was absolutely amazing
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 10 stalks asparagus
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Chop 7 stalks of asparagus into nice bite sized pieces. Coarsely chop half onion. Crush or press garlic clove.
- Take remaining asparagus stalks and steam in microwave. Add one cup of water to asparagus and blend until smooth.
- In a dutch oven on the stove top, combine olive oil, garlic, chopped asparagus and onion. Cook on medium heat until ionions are clear.
- Add rice and stir.
- Stirring constantly, add one cup of broth. Mix until it is totally absorbed by rice. Repeat with second and third
- Then add all of aparagus/water mixture. Stir until mostly absorbed and add final cup of broth.
- When about half of the broth is absorbed, stir in salt, pepper and cheese. Continue cooking until mixture has reached desired consistency.
- Could easily replace chicken broth with vegetable broth for a vegetarian alternative.