Recipe by pink cook
This is a delicious green soup that want to share it here. Enjoy.
Top Review by John D.
What a great soup! This time around, I fried off 100g of streaky bacon with the potatoes & leaks. I also subbed the butter for 50ml of good quality garlic infused olive oil and added 1/2 bunch of shallots and roughly 1/4 cup of chopped (lightly crushed) parsley stalks with the asparagus. After sautéing everything for 10min, I added 2 cups of good quality chicken consumé, 1 cup of water and 3/4 cup of verjuice and brought the pan to the boil, before turning off the heat to let it rest for 5min (to avoid over-cooking the asparagus and retain that lovely grassy, spring-like flavour). Finally, I added 1/2 cup of fresh cream and 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese to the pan after blending. The final result was absolutely stunning!
- 2 cups leeks
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk (or use half-and-half cream)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise, wash and thinly slice.
- In large pan lightly sauté leeks in butter. Add potatoes. Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add asparagus, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer gently for about 20-30 minutes, until all vegetables are soft. Put contents in blender or processor and purée.
- Add evaporated milk (or cream) and adjust salt and pepper for seasoning. (Also adjust the consistency of the soup, adding a little more of chicken stock if it is too thick).
- Serve warm with garlic or herb flavored crutons, or toasted bread slices.