Recipe by Bren in LR
This is from Shirley Beachum of Shelby Michigan. She writes, "While this soup's good with fresh asparagus, it can also be prepared with frozen or canned. In fact, I like to blanch and freeze asparagus in portions just right for this recipe--that way, I can make our favorite chowder all year."
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 cups fresh asparagus, chopped, cooked and drained
- sliced almonds
- shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh tomato, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter; saute onions, celery and garlic until tender. Stir in flour.
- Add potato, milk, broth, thyme and marjoram; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the potato is tender and soup is thickened, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add asparagus, salt and pepper; heat through.
- To serve, sprinkle with almonds, cheese and chopped tomato.