Make and share this Creamy Asiago and Artichoke Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces asiago cheese, grated
- Heat olive oil and butter in a Dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and garlic; saute for about 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir to coat.
- Add the chicken stock, white wine, potatoes, artichokes, thyme, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Salt to taste.
- Increase heat to bring to a simmer, then lower heat and continue to simmer, uncovered, until vegetables soften, about 20 minutes.
- Purée the soup (An immersion blender works well here!).
- If desired, you can freeze the soup at this point.
- When ready to serve, heat the soup and whisk in the cream and asiago cheese.
- Simmer until cheese is melted and soup just begins to bubble.