Recipe by Stephanie Z.
Top Review by CarolAT
My DH and I were invited to an RSC dinner where PaulaG prepared this dish. This soup is definately a keeper. It is so creamy and cheesy and full of flavor with the rest of the ingrredients. When preparing this dish, you might want to double the recipe because people will be asking for more.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces asiago cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil and butter in a Dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and garlic; saute for about 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir to coat.
- Add the chicken stock, white wine, potatoes, artichokes, thyme, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Salt to taste.
- Increase heat to bring to a simmer, then lower heat and continue to simmer, uncovered, until vegetables soften, about 20 minutes.
- Purée the soup (An immersion blender works well here!).
- If desired, you can freeze the soup at this point.
- When ready to serve, heat the soup and whisk in the cream and asiago cheese.
- Simmer until cheese is melted and soup just begins to bubble.