Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you are lucky enough to have a bumper crop of artichokes great. Otherwise, frozen or canned work well.
- 6 artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Drop artichoke hearts into a bowl of ice water mixed with lemon juice and olive oil if using fresh (skip for frozen or canned).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt. Drain hearts and add to boiling water; cook until tender. Drain.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and stir until golden. Stir in flour; cook, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and the artichoke hearts; stir until mixture boils and thickens, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Whirl mixture in a blender until smooth. Return to pan and heat through. Add whipping cream and salt and pepper to taste.