Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I don't like tapioca pudding made with cooked egg so I came up with this recipe. Evaporated milk gives a richer, creamier taste and texture. I like my tapioca thick but if you don't, feel free to add water a tablespoon at a time toward the end of cooking, since the pudding will thicken more upon cooling. You can also add more or less sugar and spices, according to your taste.
- 1⁄4 cup minute tapioca
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large apple, peeled and cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix tapioca, brown sugar, milk, water, salt, spices and diced apple in a two-quart saucepan and let sit for five minutes.
- Cook over medium low heat, bringing it to a boil and simmer 8-10 minutes till thickened and apples are al dente.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Eat warm or chill. Pudding thickens as it cools.