Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I grew up eating the never ending pot of American Chop Suey. My mother would just add more tomatoes and pasta to it until I thought I would gag at the thought of one more dinner of it. Thing is, I wanted to have it when I got older after trying other people's versions, so I found some recipes and glued together this. It is creamy because of the cheese, but if you don't like it, you can have it "regular". Without the kids being little, I now add hot sauce to it to spice it up, but that is not a part of my original recipe.
- 5 teaspoons cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- Heat 1 teaspoons Cooking oil in deep skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook ground beef, breaking it up but leave it a bit chunky, until browned. Drain.
- Add 1 Tbls. Cooking oil to pan and cook vegetables until softened, about five minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and meat into pan. Bring to a simmer and cover.
- Cook 20 minutes. Add pasta, cover and cook 20 minutes more.
- If desired, mix in cheese and serve.