Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
There just couldn't be a more delicious summertime dessert than this. I have even prepared this in a square glass pan, instead of unmolding it, I just leave it in the pan and cut in squares....so yummy! (prep time is chilling time).
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (6 ounce) packagejell-o orange gelatin
- 1 3⁄4 cups thawed Cool Whip Topping
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, very well drained, and pat dry with paper towel
- 1 1⁄2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a 6-cup mold (coat with vegetable spray).
- Drain the pineapple (reserving the juice).
- Add cold water to the pineapple juice to measure 1 cup.
- Stir boiling water into the gelatin in a large bowl, stirring at least 2 minutes until completely dissolved.
- Stir in the pineapple/water liquid; refrigerate for 1-1/4 hours, or until just slightly thickened (it should be the consistency of unbeaten egg whites).
- Remove from the refrigerator; stir in the Cool Whip topping with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Refrigerate 10 minutes more, or until the mixture will mound.
- Stir in pineapple, oranges, marshmallows and coconut; spoon into the mold.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours, or until firm.
- TO UNMOLD: dip mold into hot water for about 15 seconds.
- Gently pull gelatin from around the edges with moist fingers.
- Place a moistened serving plate on top of the mold; invert mold on plate, holding the mold and plate together (shake lightly to loosen).
- Gently remove the mold and center the gelatin on the plate.
- ***NOTE***fresh oranges (cut into large chunks) may be subsitituted for the mandarin oranges if desired, I have done this many times with good results.