Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Inspired by the ice cream bar, light and summery. From Woman's Day on line.
Make and share this Creamsicle Cupcakes recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream, whipping cream, frosting
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar, frosting
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest, frosting
- liquid orange food coloring (optional)
- thin strips orange zest, frosting (to garnish)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F Line 24 regular-size (2 1⁄2-in.-diameter) muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- 2. Beat butter, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, orange juice and zest in a large bowl with mixer on high 3 minutes or until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. On low speed, beat in flour in 3 additions alternately with milk in 2 additions, just until blended, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Spoon evenly in muffin cups.
- 3. Bake 22 to 25 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean and tops are golden. Cool in pans on a wire rack 5 minutes before removing from pans to rack to cool completely.
- 4. Frosting: Beat ingredients labeled frosting in medium bowl on medium-high speed until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Tint with food color; beat just until blended. Frost and garnish cupcakes.
Very tasty! I like lots of orange flavor, so I substituted 1 tsp orange extract for 1 tsp of the vanilla. The cake was just a little on the dry side, so next time I think I'll leave out that last 1/4 cup of flour, or add a little extra orange juice. The whipped cream frosting was perfect: I added a few drops orange extract to that, too, and used 4 drops of red and 12 drops of yellow for the coloring. I also stabilized the whipped cream with a little gelatin so it wouldn't deflate at a friend's birthday party. These were a huge hit!