Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Inspired by the ice cream bar, light and summery. From Woman's Day on line.
Make and share this Creamsicle Cupcakes recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream, whipping cream, frosting
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar, frosting
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest, frosting
- liquid orange food coloring (optional)
- thin strips orange zest, frosting (to garnish)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F Line 24 regular-size (2 1⁄2-in.-diameter) muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- 2. Beat butter, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, orange juice and zest in a large bowl with mixer on high 3 minutes or until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. On low speed, beat in flour in 3 additions alternately with milk in 2 additions, just until blended, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Spoon evenly in muffin cups.
- 3. Bake 22 to 25 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean and tops are golden. Cool in pans on a wire rack 5 minutes before removing from pans to rack to cool completely.
- 4. Frosting: Beat ingredients labeled frosting in medium bowl on medium-high speed until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Tint with food color; beat just until blended. Frost and garnish cupcakes.
Very tasty! I like lots of orange flavor, so I substituted 1 tsp orange extract for 1 tsp of the vanilla. The cake was just a little on the dry side, so next time I think I'll leave out that last 1/4 cup of flour, or add a little extra orange juice. The whipped cream frosting was perfect: I added a few drops orange extract to that, too, and used 4 drops of red and 12 drops of yellow for the coloring. I also stabilized the whipped cream with a little gelatin so it wouldn't deflate at a friend's birthday party. These were a huge hit!