Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Use this recipe when you can't find an orange cake mix. I know they can be hard to find at times. I found this recipe on the internet.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package lemon cake mix or 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 envelope unsweetened orange kool-aid
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 (3 ounce) packages orange gelatin, divided
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake and drink mixes, eggs, 1 cup water and oil.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Using a meat fork, poke holes in top of cake.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, dissolve one package of gelatin in boiling water.
- Stir in cold water.
- Pour over top of cake.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk, vanilla, pudding mix and remaining gelatin; beat on low for 2 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes; fold in whipped topping.
- Frost cake.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
This is the same recipe I have and it really does taste a lot like a creamsicle. The Duncan Hines recipe site also has a good cake but the orange supreme cake is hard to find. I did find a couple of boxes marked down at Walmart, but I usually use one packet orange kool aid without the sugar and a yellow cake mix instead of the hard to find orange supreme. A box of vanilla pudding added to the cake mix makes it a lot moister. I also had problems finding orange extract so using a second box of orange jello in the frosting gave the frosting a nice orange color and flavor. I make this anytime, who waits for summer.
What a fabulous cake. It was so light and creamy. 5 star recipe. Thanks for posting.
Great cake! Taste like a push up. I even made it with sugar free jello and pudding mix. So easy and refreshing. A fun summer cake.